Would you like to win a family four-pack of passes to Six Flags Over Texas? Dobson’s Flooring America is giving you the opportunity July 12-23, just for participating with us on Facebook and Twitter!
As you may already be aware, we launched the “Sumer of Giveaways Promotion” recently. For about two months, we’re created a schedule of how you can win Visa gift cards, passes to AMC Theaters, and a family four-pack of passes to Six Flags Over Texas.
For the next two weeks, to qualify for your chance to win passes to Six Flags, all you have to do is post a message to our Facebook wall or @reply us on Twitter to let us know how you are keeping your home cool this summer season.
In Texas, it can get quite toasty outside. Luckily, with the rain we’ve had over the past two weeks or so, we’ve dodged 100 degree weather, but it’s still been hot nonetheless. Keeping your home cool efficiently is important not only for the comfort of your family, but can be easier on your pocketbook.
Here are five tips for keeping your home cool:
- Keep your air conditioner thermostat set to 78 degrees Fahrenheit or higher and use ceiling fans to help circulate the air. Close off unused rooms as well as those air conditioning vents.
- Use ceiling fans at higher speeds in the rooms you are in to make the temperature more comfortable. Remember, the goal is to not lower the AC thermostat lower than 78 degrees.
- If your air conditioning unit is very old, consider purchasing a newer, more energy-efficient model. Also make sure you get a unit that is appropriately sized for your home. You don’t want to get one that is too small nor too large. Ask an energy auditor or air conditioning contractor for more information.
- Try to shade your air conditioners with window awnings (for window units) or trees (for outdoor units).
- For windows that have direct sunlight, use white window shades or mini-blinds to reduce solar heat gain. This method can dramatically reduce the heat in your home (and is ideal for preventing fading of your flooring where applicable).
One additional tip for keeping your home cooler is, yes, take a second look at the type of flooring you have in your home. Tile floors can be much cooler than any other flooring surface. They retain cool air from your air conditioner and, even when heated from solar rays, stays cooler longer than other surfaces. Dobson’s has a wonderful selection of tile floors, and one of our flooring experts would be happy to talk with you about the other advantages of having tile flooring installed in your home.
Keep our home-cooling tips in mind and remember to post a message to our Facebook Wall or@reply us on Twitter with how you keep your home cool during the summer months. We don’t need an elaborate explanation, just a simple sentence or two. Do this before July 23 and you’ll automatically be entered to win. At the end of the promotional period, all entries will be compiled and a winner will be selected at random.
Thanks for your interest in Dobson’s Flooring America, where we’re with you every step of the way!