Carpet can be an expensive investment in your home. As such, it’s important that you do everything you can to ensure it remains beautiful for the duration of its lifetime.
As with everything in life, accidents happen. At some point, there is bound to be a spill or any other type of accident on your carpet. How you handle the situation and how you care for your carpet on an on-going basis can make quite a difference. With just five simple care tips to keep in mind, you can keep your carpet looking fresh and vibrant for several years.
- Vacuum Frequently – The most important tip for keeping your carpet looking fresh and beautiful is to vacuum frequent. You should vacuum at least once a week and up to three times a week in more high-traffic areas. Think of dirt as sandpaper, just grinding away at your carpet. Dirt may not always be apparent, but it’s an element in leaving carpet fibers limp and dull. Vacuuming often not only removes dirt and freshens carpet fibers, but it also prevents stains from slowly forming when liquids such as water are accidentally spilled.
- Clean Spills Quickly – Think of spills the way you may think of emergency situations—time is of the essence. The longer liquids and other staining substances sit, the more time it has to settle. When treating stains, remember to blot with a clean towel or rag; do not rub. Use the clean towel to absorb as much of the liquid (where applicable) as possible. Then, use appropriate cleaning solutions to remove what is left. Remember to check with your flooring retailer or refer to your carpet’s warranty brochure for proper chemicals to use on your carpet!
- Trust the Professionals – You will typically want to have your carpet professionally cleaned at least once a year—twice if you have a lot of foot traffic in your home. True, you can visit your local grocery or home improvement store to rent carpet cleaning equipment. Often times, you can achieve great results; however, the process involved could be time consuming and cause more of a burden than had you hired a professional. Professional carpet cleaners can quickly clean your carpet with a cleaning process that could be more effective than store-bought solutions. Depending on the vendor, a professionally cleaned carpet could dry in as little as two hours!
- Re-arrange Furniture – There are two great reasons for re-arranging the furniture in your home often. First of all, it creates change to an environment you’re used too—often creating a new love for your home. Most importantly, it changes the flow of traffic across your carpet, reducing what is known as traffic gray lanes. Like all types of materials, areas of high use will begin to show signs of wear. Cleaning and proper maintenance cannot prevent traffic lane gray, so it’s important to change the flow of traffic every so often to extend the appearance of your carpet.
- Limit Exposure to Sunlight – Just as with many other materials and surfaces, sunlight can fade the color of your carpet. Protect your flooring with curtains and blinds to limit sunlight exposure. It’s also recommended that you direct blinds upward instead of down so light is not shining on your carpet.
Dobson’s Flooring America has an extensive collection of carpet that will meet your needs and budget. For additional carpet care tips, more information on our product lines or free in-home estimates, please contact us today. You can also stop by one of our two North Texas locations in Frisco and Garland.
At Dobson’s Flooring America, we’re with you every step of the way. That means before, during and after your purchase.