Having hardwood flooring in your home may seem like a high-maintenance job, but it is actually quite the opposite. Hardwood flooring is actually one of the easiest flooring types to maintain, provided that you take the necessary steps to keep it clean with the best floor cleaners.
Still, the frequency with which you clean your floors may make you feel as though sweeping and mopping are theonly things you do! Don’t feel bad – we all feel that way at one point or another, especially if we’ve had wood flooring for a long time. It feels as though the more you clean, the more you need to. However, don’t lose your mind. Believe it or not, cleaning your floors every day will help you keep it clean always. It’s all in how you do it.
Cleaning your hardwood floor
Follow these simple steps so that you may cut your cleaning time in half and start dedicating those long hours to other things in your day.
- First, sweep the floor to make sure that there is no dirt, sand, glass or anything else on the floor. Some do this the old-school way – with a broom and dustpan– while others sweep with a light vacuum cleaner designed specifically for hardsurface flooring. The idea is to get as much grime, dust and particles from the floor as possible, because these are what cause the floor to get scratched and dull-looking over time.
- Once you’ve finished with the dusting, the next step is ordinarily to mop your floor. This is where it gets tricky when it comes to hardwood floors, because you should only mop your floors with dustmop or Swiffer® that has been lightly misted with water if needed . Make sure that you never use a wet mop, as it can damage your floors. Never use any products containing wax or oil on your wood floor if your floor has a urethane finish. In fact, you should only use cleaners approved by the manufacturer of your floor if possible.
- Once your floor is dusted and mopped, it’s time to place your area rugs back where they belong. You don’t have any? Go get some, right now! Area rugs keep your hardwood floor looking beautiful and shiny while protecting it from permanent and continuous damage.
That’s it! You’re done! It seems like a lot of work, but once you do it a few times and you get into the routine, you’ll realize not just how easy it makes your job in the long run, but how much happier you are at the fact that your Dobson flooring has stayed as gorgeous as the first day you purchased it.
A Few More Tips
- Keep your home between 60º - 80º Fahrenheit and 35%-55% humidity to minimize expansion and contraction. (In-home humidity can be monitored with an inexpensive device called a hygrometer.)
- Do not use any abrasives, wax cleaners or oil polishes as they can permanently damage your floor and void out your warranty! Instead, ask your local Dobson location what the best floor cleaners are to use on your particular brand of floor.
- DO NOT LET SPILLS SIT!!! Likewise, do not let puddles of cleaners sit on the floor, as the wood can absorb the chemicals and the wood can be damaged.
Let Dobson Do the Hard Part
The hardest part of owning a hardwood floor is the installation. Dobson Floors has been the leader of flooring solutions in North Texas since 1973. Contact Dobson Floors today to schedule a free in-home consultation!
Dobson’s Flooring America has been providing excellent quality and service for almost 40 years. They remain a leader in flooring in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
About Dobson Floors
For almost 40 years, Dobson Floors, an employee owned company, has been the established provider of flooring, tile and countertops in North Texas for residential and commercial customers. As part of America’s leading flooring retail group, Flooring America, their 500-store nationwide buying power guarantees you low prices on thousands of flooring options backed by the most solid warranties in the flooring industry. They are committed to providing every customer with the best selection, the best prices and the best service available anywhere.
Client Contact Info:
Name: Suzanne Brown
Phone Number: (972) 270-8741, x 212